Thanksgiving is that one day of the year that I indulge in the BEST Crunchy Caramel Apple Pie! I’m not a pie fan (don’t like pie crust). This apple pie recipe does have a bottom pie crust but has an oatmeal and brown sugar crumble topping. Serve it warm with a drizzle of caramel and a side of Breyer’s Natural Vanilla ice cream. Heaven! You may even need to make 2 to bring to your Thanksgiving meal;)
*This is the 2001 Apple Pie recipe, won by Marsha Brooks. Emeril named this pie the winner of his Apple Pie of his eye contest on Good Morning America.
9”pie crust (homemade or store-bought)
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
6 cups thinly-sliced peeled apples (I use golden delicious and fuji apples)
Ingredients for crumb topping:
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup butter
Directions for Crumb Topping:
- Stir together brown sugar, flour and rolled oats.
- Cut in 1/2 cup butter until topping is like course crumbs. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt.
- Add apple slices and gently toss until coated.
- Transfer apple mixture to the pie shell.
- Sprinkle crumb topping over apple mixture.
- Place pie on a cookie sheet so the drippings don’t drop into your oven.
- Cover edges of pie with aluminum foil.
- Bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 25 minutes. Then remove foil and put back in for another 25 to 30 minutes without foil.
- Remove from oven. Drizzle with caramel on top. (option: add chopped pecans)
- Cool on a wire rack and enjoy warm or at room temperature.